We recommend that you do not backtest or optimize your cBots on your VPS for the following reasons.
- A backtest uses a large amount of memory (RAM).
- Your VPS server has a limited amount of memory (RAM).
- Even after a backtest this memory allocation is still very large.
- Running optimization uses even more memory.
- Optimization also uses a large amount of your CPU.
- What is RAM
- What is CPU
It is also not recommended to manually trade using a VPS as these are very low spec machines and not designed for a modern trading platform, the best approach is to manually trade with your PC only and just use the VPS to run your trading robots in the background with the trading platform minimised.
We recommend that you run your backtests and optimization on your workstation computer which would have a much more powerful CPU and higher memory RAm for the complex computations that are involved, once you have the best-optimized parameter settings you can copy these settings to your cBot on the VPS server and run the robots. It would be ok to run a backtest to confirm the results but to free up the memory after it would be wise to use our cTrader Memory Manager software.