The Derivative Oscillator indicator was developed by Constance Brown CMT (Chartered Market Technician) and it was published in her book Technical Analysis for the Trading Professional, this book can be purchased from Amazon UK on Kindle or hardcover. It is also the number-one go-to guide for market technicians seeking to improve their market timing skills with the most up-to-date tools and techniques.
if you prefer analyzing the Smoothed Relative Strength Index (RSI) and you want to generate signals on the crossovers of the Smoothed RSI and the signal line then the Derivative Oscillator indicator is a must-have tool.
No specific requirements, this indicator should work with all versions of the cTrader Desktop platform, but not the mobile version.
How to Trade Using Derivative Oscillator?
As you can see from the chart above the Derivative Oscillator looks like MACD Histogram, you can read the indicator to help with trade direction from the following.
- The histogram is above the zero line and the last bar is greater than then the previous bar. (BULLISH)
- The histogram is below the zero line and the last bar is less than then the previous bar. (BEARISH)
The strength of the trend can be determined by looking at the magnitude of the various histogram bars, the greater the positive bar, the greater the strength of a bullish trend and the greater the negative magnitude the greater the strength of a bearish trend.
The indicator allows you to set the periods for the RSI, two EMA and one MA indicator that make up the derivative oscillator indicator.
- Show Author - this displays on the chart information where the indicator was downloaded.
- RSI Periods= the number of periods for the Relative Strength Indicator.
- 1st EMA Periods = the number of periods for the first Exponential Moving Average Indicator.
- 2nd EMA Periods = the number of periods for the second Exponential Moving Average Indicator.
- MA Periods = the number of periods for the Moving Average Indicator.
Remove Author Box
You can easily remove the author box shown on the chart by setting the show author parameter in the indicator settings to No.
How To Install & Remove
First, make sure you have the cTrader trading platform installed and then simply unzip the file and double-click on it to automatically install it onto the platform.
If you have any questions, please first search our product help forum for the answer, if you cannot find it, post a new question.
Join Telegram Community
You can join a Telegram community and chat with other traders to discuss, share and ask for help.